2018-02-09

Teaching Outside the Class

   This week in the book, "Braiding Sweetgrass," we read a chapter titled, "Sitting in a Circle". It focused on Kimmerer's time as a teacher. She would bring her students outside so that they could be taught lessons while being immersed in their subject matter. This reminded me of a time when I was teaching in a preschool.
    When I was in high school, the school offered vocational programs. The one that I went in was Early Education and Care. This program taught high school students to be preschool teachers. Eventually, they would actually teach in the preschool once they were juniors and seniors. These students were legitimate teachers. They had to plan lessons, create games, read stories, get snacks, etc.
     During my time as a teacher, we did a lesson where we brought the children over to the Horticultural program. They were so excited as they got to leave the classroom, but they also got to learn more about plants. Each child got to plant their own small potted plant. They were all shown how to take care of the plant, and how a plant grows. It was so amazing to watch. The children kept expressing how happy they were for planting their own plants. They got to leave the classroom to go learn. I do not think that had we remained in the classroom that they would not have learned as much. They got to tour the greenhouse and see all the different plants that were being grown. If they sat in the classroom, it wouldn't have happened.
    I firmly believe that if students need to interact with what they are being taught outside of the classroom. It gives them a connection to the material. Plus, it captures their interest as they are not confined to a classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I relate to this blog because I was a part of the Early Education and Care program at my high school and was able to be a part of a preschool and kindergarten classrooms. During the course of being in the different classrooms, I saw that the kids found the activities more interesting when it was hands-on activities like planting or venturing out of the classroom to find things in nature that relate to what they're learning in the classroom. I agree with that the kids get a better connection with what they're learning when given the opportunity to interact with what they're learning about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    I agree most of the best lessons we learn are outside of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete