2018-02-02

We Share What We Grow



Holly Hogan

February 2, 2018


In Robin Wall Kimmerer’s book, Braiding Sweetgrass, she discusses her garden where she plants The Three Sisters. The Three Sisters are corn, beans and squash. Kimmerer grows these plants with the intent to share them with others. She doesn't mind that she ends up sharing her garden with the wildlife, such as insects.

Like Kimmerer, I have a large garden in the summer. Last year, my squash plants took over their square patch and intertwined their vines through and over each other, creating a blanket of enormous leaves where mammoth zucchinis and yellow squashes got lost among the vines and dirt. I grew enough vegetables to harvest for my family, my grandparents and some friends. There were bruised fruits in the harvest that were left unwasted and given to the chickens to peck at. My big garden was being shared by all walks of life, like Kimmerer’s.

One day in particular, I had ventured out to the garden in the early light to see what I could get from my garden before the sun caused the leaves to wilt and hide the vegetables. I heard a rustling sound come from the back of the patch, close to the tall, wooden fence. Initially, I thought this noise belonged to a snake, and I was ready to run. Before, I took off barefooted to the back porch, I saw a pair of tiny, brown, oval-shaped ears sticking up from the zucchini vines. A baby bunny had been using my garden as her breakfast-nook. Instead of shoo-ing her out and scaring her, I let her be. She depended on my harvest, just like I did, and as Robin Wall Kimmerer says of her garden, “More than people are fed by this garden, but there is enough to go around”.(139)

10 comments:

  1. I really liked your personal experience with the "garden life." Very sentimental!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love gardening. Do you do any gardening?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great story, it was very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I saw your face when you thought it was a snake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you saw the bunny as help instead of just scaring it away. And I used to garden with my mom when I was younger so I found this interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Gardening is very fun to me, I like to feed myself with food I know has no chemicals on them.

      Delete
    2. I am meaning by pesticides/insecticides and whatever else the big corporate farms put on our food!

      Delete
  6. Reading about your garden reminded me of when my grandmother used to garden at her home in TN! My brothers and sisters and I loved looking through the garden to see all the vegetables and check their growth. I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete