2018-02-02

Blog Post #2


Systems of Nature

            This week in class we continued talking about the importance and responsibility that we have with and for nature. In Robin Kimmerer’s book she writes in the chapter, “The Three Sisters” about the ancient tale of the garden of these three sisters. It is a simple story but the message behind it fascinates me. The first sister is corn, growing tall and sturdy so that her second sister, beans and grow and vine around her for support. Lastly, the third sister, squash, grows low to the ground creating shade and protection for her older sisters. These three sisters work together so perfectly that without one of them, the garden would fail or not grow properly. Kimmerer says, “No leaf sits directly over the next, so that each can gather light without shading the others.” (131). I love the idea of this because as we know, plants and other animate beings each have their own way of communicating, and so we can tell that plants do not grow randomly. They grow for a purpose and with a purpose which is to benefit their sister plants. They do not over crowd nor suffocate each other creating a perfect system of nature. This system of leaning off of each other and growing together, for each other’s benefit reminds me of my relationship with my brothers. I have two older brothers, very different in personalities but both equally share my blood. We build off of one another just as the three sisters do in their gardens. My oldest brother, Ben, loves to set the example, to show us exactly what not to do and he seems to glow when he tells me stories of his mistakes and lectures me in a way that does not feel like a lecture. He is definitely my support system, I feel like if he was not there doing the things he does I would not have a foundation for who I am today. My second brother, David, grows low to the ground and keeps the peace almost between everyone. Although his quietness may throw people off, he has shown me patience and loyalty. And then of course, there is me who climbs and bends and works its way around the support system. I try my best to keep my brother’s teachings with me everyday and use them to my advantage, since that’s what siblings are for.

            Robin Kimmerer fascinates me by the next thing she says in her chapter, which is that we, humans, are part of the sisterhood as well. We are the Fourth Sister and the one who sets the whole system into motion. We push the seeds into the ground and make sure enough water is given to it and the gifts of these sisters are appreciated as they should be. Without this amazing system of nature, we would not have as much appreciation for the gifts of nature as we do today. Nor would I feel as connected with my family as I do now because I can see a physical representation of my relationship with my brothers, in a garden! We are all connected. We are all part of the systems of nature. Without us they die, without them, we die. And life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment