For this blogpost, I wanted to focus on the connection of a few of the pieces we were exposed to and the importance it shows that nature has and will continue to have in the life of humanity. The main connection I felt I have discovered is the connection between the life of the land and the life of those living on it. Through the stories of the Pueblo people and the video of the Dakota Pipelines, we can see in each case that there is a connection between humans and the earth around it, of which I can relate to through my short narrative. From reading the stories of the Pueblo people, we learn about the importance of their spiritual connection to the land they are a part of around them. The Pueblo people see their land as a sacred and living in every aspect. The plants, the animals, and even the rocks are as living as any human of which share that landscape. Through watching the videos informing us of the riots on the Dakota pipelines, we receive the same connection of a people to their land. They as well have a sacred connection with their land that is ignored by the companies of which have to decided to invade in with the pipelines. Their beliefs are as valid as any others and their homes are being destroyed without any consideration of their rights to a roof over their heads. As said in the video, they are no less of citizens than all other Americans, so why do they get to be treated with less consideration? In both examples, I feel their beliefs of the connection they have to their lands is a sacred part of who they are, and has no right to be misunderstood or taken from them.
Although I cannot necessarily relate to their spiritual connections with the land around themselves, through my personal narrative I was able to explore the appreciation I have for the beauty of nature and that is something I enjoy having. No matter the beliefs or differences within them, they are all valid and should never be treated without respect.
Everyone has a connection with nature in some way somehow. Obviously, it may not be a spiritual connection like you said but everyone has had some interaction with nature whether positive or negative. I like the similarities that you found with the Pueblo people and the protesters at Standing Rock. They both believe their land is sacred and that they should do anything to keep it in tact.
ReplyDelete