2017-01-27

The Standing Rock

After viewing the video about the Standing Rock, it made me realize that there are more important things going on in the world that citizens are not very aware of. This video made me have a real sense of what the topic of class was going to be about. The video made me feel something towards the topic and have an opinion on it. I connected the video very well to the quote "washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not be neutral". The video relates to the quote because the oil companies, the "powerful" are taking advantage of the people of Standing Rock, the "powerless" and some other citizens are not doing anything to help the powerless. so the oil company is just keeping their power. The people of Standing Rock are being verbally and physically abused because they are standing up for their home land. If we all thought about our land as sacred we would all understand the way they view that land that is now being dug up and ruined.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Meg, I completely agree with you when you said that there is so much going on around the world and we are not aware of. It made me really upset watching that video because these people are standing up for their land and they are getting verbally and physically abused. I also like how you connected the video with the quote from the syllabus. I did not think of it that way until you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I also wrote my post on the Standing Rock video. Similar to how you felt, I too got a better understanding of the topic through the video and was able to make connections to the quote. The video gave me a stronger feeling as to what nature means to these people, and how important it is that we stand up for each other in order to eliminate the powerful people becoming more powerful for evil reasons.

    ReplyDelete