2018-02-15

In My Grandmother's Kitchen


Karine Irihose
Professor Santos
ENGL 102-042
16 February 2018
In My Grandmother’s Kitchen (Blog post 4)

“What was once a celebration food has become a source of supplementary income.”

I liked how here Salmon talks about how no one has time to cook food all the time anymore as they used to, and how wedding parties are pre-prepared a year before, and party invitations are sent way before for people to clear their calendars. I kind of connected to what he was saying because back in my country, Rwanda, Africa, at home we used to have like a schedule, and every day at 12pm and 7pm we always knew it was eating time, no matter what you were doing. To me at that time it wasn’t like a traditional thing, because if you were late to come and eat at the exact time, you wouldn’t get any food to eat that night or that day, the whole food would be finished. We were like 9 people all living in the same building. Me, my three siblings, my mom and dad, my cousin, my uncle, and a maid.

But when me and my family, we came here to America, things changed, because now everyone has to care more about their responsibilities and their jobs, and we don’t even all live together anymore. My big sister and my big brother they all moved out. Right now when I look at it, I feel like we kind of lost something, mostly that connection we used to have by telling each other stories when we were eating.

1 comment:

  1. I understand what disconnection your talking about. Here, in America, the most important thing on everyone's mind is money and their job responsibilities. Although this obsession with money is in good heart, to able to provide for your family, you have to sacrifice things. It just seems odd and almost ironic people would sacrifice their time with their family in order to support them. I liked your response, it makes a real world connection to this disconnect between people and food.

    ReplyDelete