2018-02-02

How the Weather Can Affect My Day and Mood

Emily Vasconcelos

2 February 2018

ENG 102-037

Professor Santos


   To some, this might sound unusual or strange, but the weather, of a particular day affects my mood for that whole day. An example is if it is cloudy and rainy, I might be cranky and less motivated to do a task on a day like or if the weather is sunny and warm I'm typically happy and energized to accomplish a task.

   Take today as a real life example. Today was snowing and freezing. Waking up to today's weather, I felt sluggish and with no ambition to do anything (I was really hoping for my 8am class to be cancelled :)). Then when the day turned to a sunny one, I felt better, less tired, and ready to take on the day! In my bedroom, I have a big sliding glass door acting as my only source of natural light. On weekends, I usually wake up at around 8:30 am. If I see out of my big sliding door, and the sun is big and bright, I will feel the motivation to wake up, clean my room, do my laundry, do homework, and make my bed.

    For a few years, I've noticed that weather changes my mood. This affects me more today than when I was younger because I was not going to a school where it determines what I will be able to do for the rest of my life. So, I am more determined to go to my classes, do my work, and have passing grades despite what weather shows up on any day.

    I work as a substitute teacher aide, meaning that when I work it is when the teacher's assistant is absent on a day ( p.s. I actually love my job! :)). I work at the Berkley Community (elementary) School and the Berkley Middle School. I typically work at the Community School and so far I've worked the most with kindergarteners. When the weather is not all that great, the kids will have indoor recess. They do not get the chance to truly run around and release some built up playing energy. This awful for the kids, and the teachers, because the kids need a break from the classroom environment and the teachers need a break from the students. But when the kids have outdoor recess, they come back with good energy and took out some of that restless and tired energy, which makes them more likely to focus in class and ready to learn. So even at 5 years old, weather can affect some people and their behavior.


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this piece because I can definitely connect with it! I liked how you used a lot of detail on how the weather makes you feel depending on the day and how it connects to your life.

    ReplyDelete