2018-01-26

Passing on Earth's Gifts



Holly Hogan


January 26, 2018


EN 102


In Robin Wall Kimmerer’s book, Braiding Sweetgrass, she often reminds her audience about the wonderful gifts the Earth has to offer. Kimmerer is aware that in our current society we exchange currency for these gifts from Earth, such as when we buy food at the grocery store. When we buy these things from a commercial store, Kimmerer says that it dissolves “the relationship between producer and consumer”(26). Whether we receive gifts from the Earth or from the people around us, we are gracious, as opposed to buying something that did not have as much value. After reading Kimmerer’s book, I realized I have adopted this notion with my ducks.

I have Indian-Runner ducks, and last summer my duck Furby, laid eggs. I incubated the eggs without anticipating a successful hatch. After a long month of turning the eggs, spritzing them with warm water, and keeping the temperature in the incubator just right, ten ducklings came into the world. The little fluff-balls had homes waiting for them; my friend, Emily, and another woman I knew. I had purchased my grown ducks through hatcheries, but I did not want to exchange currency for these ducklings, I wanted them to be gifts.

One of Emily’s ducks was taken by a fisher cat, so I told her to pick a duckling and I would give it to her. She was very grateful and it felt good to know that I had made her happy by giving her a duckling. The other woman who wanted ducklings had two young children. I did not want to charge her for these lovely creatures, so instead I went to her house to teach her children about their new pets.

Like Kimmerer, I believe it is essential to be grateful for the gifts the Earth presents us with. I also believe it is essential to pass on knowledge of nature to others and future generations, because we are so obsessed with other things that we begin to miss the beauty around us.

6 comments:

  1. I like how you made a connection between the theme of the chapters we have read so far and the hatching of your ducks. Your story is a great example of how we, as society members, should not place monetary value on everything in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cool that you had an experience very similar to to the ideas in the book. I also think passing knowledge of nature is important as it helps to educate and raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you made a connection to the part of you giving people the ducks and how the book talks about receiving gifts being more gracious and having more value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The first duck I received was Banjo and he was purchased at a grain store for only a few dollars. He was a surprise my dad gifted me, and he is worth so much more than those crumpled dollars.

      Delete