2018-01-26

Braiding Sweetgrass

    "Strawberries first shaped my view of a world full of gifts simply scattered at your feet. A gift comes to you through no action of your own, free, having moved toward you without your beckoning. It is not a reward; you cannot earn it, or call it to you, or even deserve it. And yet it appears. Your only role is to be open-eyed and present. Gifts exist in a realm of humanity and mystery---as with random acts of kindness, we do not know their source." (pg. 23-24)

    Thinking of strawberries as gifts was an interesting concept to encounter at first. But the more I thought about it and our connections we learned about in class, the more I was able to connect the dots. Nature is a gift to us from Earth, to Kimmerer, her gift from nature was strawberries. She saw fields of them. She got to see them grow from green leaves, to white little stumps, to pinkish color and then vibrant red. She would run the field of red and admire the sight and smell. She would also eat the berries which were sweet of taste. She thought of herself raised by strawberries, because of the lessons she learned within them. The conceptual thinking that had occurred within her mind.

    I then began to think about my life, what is my gift from nature? Unlike scenery or plants, my gift was animals. I always found peace watching the swans swim in the ponds, or the sound of birds chirping in the morning. I loved the butterflies colors, and calming of my pets even. At the moment, I have 7 pets, which all serve me a great purpose. For the sake of this journal entry, I thought I would go through them all. My cat helps my anxiety, he knows when I'm feeling uneasy and he will be there to reassure me. My dog is playful, he gets me out of bed even if I want to sleep in. I also have a handful of little furry pets. I have 2 gerbils, who I am still so fascinated by how fast they can chew things. I have a little mouse, who is timid but so sweet. I also have a hamster, she is very old for a hamster but she is still the most active hamster I have ever met. Lastly, I have a pet fish. I have kept a handful of fish in my life, I even had three fish tanks at one point. I love their vibrant colors, and the way they swim and live life.

    The overall message and point of this entry is that nature is beautiful, and means something different to each person. Each individual will find their own gift within nature, and like the quote above, the only thing they need to do is be present for it, embrace it, and respect it. I think soon I will go outside and take a walk and embrace the world around me, and remember the gift of life I was given.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your overall message of the story. I think everyone will find their own gift in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with what you said and thank you for sharing your story of your pets. I also think people should go out more and respect nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 100% agree with what you shared with us! people need to start appreciating life more and be thankful for what they have around them because life is the greatest gift of all. Thank u for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete