2018-02-13

Braiding Sweetgrass Evaluation


Olivia Nordman
ENGL 102
Melissa Santos
February 14, 2018

            I just finished the book Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer which is filled with many Nature Writing pieces that are incorporated into it. Kimmerer really paints a clear picture of all these experiences with nature she has had. The stories also taught me a lot about nature and how we can make use out of the earth instead of just enjoying it through our eyes. In the story Sitting in a Circle (p 223). She explained all of the ways that us humans can use cattails from the wetlands. You can use them for food and even for shelter which in my opinion is very innovative. The book definitely speaks to the people who enjoy nature and teaches them how to utilize it as well. This is the types of audience I would recommend Braiding Sweetgrass to, the people who are fascinated by nature like Kimmerer is. For the people who may not enjoy nature as much, I can see how they might not understand why she is so compassionate about nature. In my opinion, her compassion is the biggest strength that shines through in her writing. You can really see nature is what compels Kimmerer, sort of like her own “Windigo”, which explained in the book is, “the world view of a people, of how they understand themselves, their place in the world, and the ideals to which they aspire” (p 205). I found a lot of the stories that I read were very deep and explained thoroughly her connections with nature which can be very compelling at times, but I can see how it may a little too much for some people that do not find nature as interesting as Kimmerer does, or even half as much. In the review of Braiding Sweetgrass that I found online says that, “The gift of Kimmerer’s book is that she provides readers the ability to see a very common world in uncommon ways, or, rather, in ways that have been commonly held, but have recently been largely discarded” (Wilkinson). I liked this review after reading it a lot because I agreed with a lot of their points especially this one. Kimmerer does an amazing job when it comes to expressing her connection with nature and how everyone can appreciate it in their own ways.

Wilkinson, Elizabeth. REVIEW: ‘Braiding Sweetgrass,’ by Robin Wall Kimmerer. StarTribune.
            31, October 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment