2018-02-16

Annie Cheney
Week 2/11-2/15
In class on Wednesday we learned how to make dolls out of corn husks. Making a doll out of a corn husk was an awesome way of changing up the lesson. I learned something valuable from this lesson it wasn't only for my knowledge of learned how the people of the land used to farm but also for my major I felt very satisfied.
I am majoring in elementary education and with elementary aged students they need to be hands on with projects and work at all hours of the school day. Students at this age really need to have a real life object in front of them to relate it to the real world and make sense of the lesson. Learning how to make these dolls would be a great lesson plan for a social studies lesson about the people of the land.

What really caught my attention about how they planted food was when they would bury Herring under the seeds for their crops as well. I thought this was interesting because when she said that people who have a specific card can go into the Herring Run and catch fish for their crops. I found this interesting because I live in Bourne where the Herring Run is and I never knew that. That also relates to the topic of teaching because I volunteer at my local elementary school in the town of Bourne. I could bring this lesson to the teacher that I observe and we could go over a way of planting Herring in the gardens of the elementary school and then do the lesson of building the dolls. I really enjoyed my time making the dolls and learning about the way they gardened and how everything is tied together.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the lesson too, it was a great way to learn about the culture and history of indigenous people. I hope your class likes the lesson and that it will resonate with them as it did us.

    ReplyDelete