2018-01-26

Braiding Sweetgrass- Blog Post #1

Emily Vasconcelos

ENG 102-037

Professor Santos

26 January 2018

Before starting the book, I was very concerned about our environment, but now I think of Earth as more than just a planet. Robin W. Kimmerer helped me realize the importance of taking care of our lands and appreciating nature and the beauty Earth has to offer.
I’m normally not really into creation stories, because most stories do not make sense to me or are not logical, however, the story of Sky Woman was somewhat like transcendentalistic with how Kimmerer explains Earth’s beginnings and how scared land and nature should be to us, which made think of how I am affected by the environment and how I affect the environment.
When I was younger, I am not going to lie, I HATED going outside! But as I am becoming older and mature, I am realizing my love for the outside and nature. I want to preserve my only home for my future generations. I am determined to instill values of caring for the Earth to my future children and to protect the environment as possibly as I can. I want to leave a positive effect on Earth when I leave.
In our society, we are too focused on materialistic objects and the need to mass produce everything, such as food. Because we have a rushed society, we do not take the time to have compassion and respect for the planet that gives us life, a home, food, oxygen, warmth, and so much more.
I think everyone, who reads this book or not, should reconsider how we treat and respect Earth. After all, Earth is our only home.


2 comments:

  1. I agree, this book has changed my mindset on how people effect the earth in a negative way. People also have nothing to give in return to what we take from the earth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a mutual progression on my feelings towards our planet Earth! As a kid, we learned about recycling and helping out the environment but as we grow older it becomes more than an obligation.

    ReplyDelete