2017-02-02

Rachel Carson & the fight against pesticides

When hearing about Silent Spring, I had no expectations. I didn't even have any clue about what the topic of interest was. Right after the first couple minutes, it got straight to the point and you automatically knew what the topic was, pesticides.

Before watching the film, I had no idea the extent of the use of pesticides. Actually, I really didn't even know that pesticides were that bad. After watching the film and watching the actual footage of the pesticides being sprayed, not only on houses but on the citizens as well, it showed me the degree of how bad this problem was getting. Seeing the clips of the animals eating the sprayed crops and having no idea and dropping dead was staggering. Thinking how people STILL think it's okay to keep doing this, blows my mind.

Learning about Rachel Carson and how she started her own movement was astounding. Watching someone who was battling cancer, do so much research, spend years writing her own book and telling/proving to the world know what was going on, all to end up having companies say she was lying, had me completely dumbfounded. Everything she said was all due to research that she had done. To have companies tell the world she was lying, with hopes only to continue to make more money and keep poisoning the world, again blew my mind. Rachel Carson was a strong independent woman who was the first brave enough to stand up against these huge companies with hopes to one day, save the world from these horrible chemicals.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this, she was ill at the time and continued to do her research and spread awareness. It's crazy how they still kept using the pesticide knowing it was harming the animals and the people around. But she never gave up in what she believed in she kept going and that is what I liked about Carson.

    ReplyDelete