I found that between the readings, quotes, and video, the video was the only one that truly gave me a feel for the topic. There was a stronger connection that I got while watching opposed to reading the excerpts. Although, I did find myself being able to connect quotes to the Standing Rock video. Normally, I zone out during an in class video, but not this one. While watching the video I begin to feel so much sympathy to the people who's land was being taken over. I put myself in their shoes. Wondering how I would feel if the place I called home was being destroyed and taken from me. Which leads me into my second point, not taking what we have for granted.
Videos like the one of the Standing Rock tribe, will make anyone watching realize that we must appreciate what we have. To see the abuse that the people faced both verbally and physically was beyond cruel. The dehumanization that was represented through the video was even more disturbing than the fact that this land was being taken over in a place where the victims considered "home". The quote, "washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral". That being said, in connection to the video, if you do not do anything you are continuing to give more power to the powerful, which is adding to the problem. Therefore it is important that we as humans stand up for what is right rather than sitting back. The world is our home, treat it as so.
I agree, seeing someone's land be taken away from them makes you feel like you are taking away someone's home. Verbally and physically abusing people over a piece of land takes the humanity away from someone. We should not just sit back and watch the cruelty in the world, we should be the reason it ends, fighting for our rights.
ReplyDelete