2018-04-10

One Straw Revolution Book Eval

Kristina Silvia
Prof. Santos
English 102-037
9 April 2018
One Straw Revolution Book Review
One Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka is a book about agriculture, farming, and all that we know about food while telling stories of Fukuoka’s own experiences as a farmer. Fukuoka is a farmer who believed in farming in the most natural way possible. He especially did not believe in the use of pesticides. He also believes in a do-nothing farming style. He believes that in order for plants and vegetables to grow, one should do nothing and let it grow on its own. Helping only so often without changing its environment. Fukuoka lays out all the information on how he farms and what we need to do to help the environment and return to a more natural type of farming throughout his whole book.
Fukuoka is a farmer himself and has done a lot of research on the topics he discusses, so the book is very trustworthy. The book is full of real-life experiences that Fukuoka experienced so one knows he is not making things up. One struggle or weakness I found was that Fukuoka is very philosophical in his writing and at times this made it hard for me to understand. Occasionally I had to reread a statement to get the full understanding of what he was trying to say. I think those who have a stronger reading comprehension abilities probably did not have as much of a hard time with this so I would consider the way he writes to be a strength for others.

I would recommend this book to anyone. I think this book is something anyone could find interesting. As someone who was not that interested in agriculture before, I think this book made me open up my mind and I became curious about all the issues going on in the food industry today. I think everyone should read this so that they could learn about natural farming and what we need to do to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment